USDA Summer Food Service Program

Summer Food Service Program: Food That’s In. . . When School Is Out!


The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) provides healthy meals and snacks to children when school is not in session.    The SFSP is a federally funded program operated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and is managed locally by the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE).  The goal of the SFSP is to ensure that children receive the nutrition they need to continue to grow, learn and play throughout the summer months!

If you are interested in finding an open feeding site in your area:

            • Call 211
            • Text the words “summer meals” to 97779
            • Text the word “food” to 877-877 or “comida” to 877-877 (for Spanish speakers)
            • Call 1-866-348-6479
            • Log onto
nurse, forms

Welcome to the MOT Charter Café – here’s what’s cooking  this week.

Breakfast and lunch are available each day:

  • Breakfast: $1.75
    • NOTE: Breakfast is not available if school opens on a two-hour delay
  • Lunch, Grades K-5: $2.50
  • Lunch, Grades 6-12: $2.70
  • Students may purchase milk for $0.40 and bottled water a la carte:
    • K-8 Academy sells only 8 ounce bottles for $0.50
    • High School sells only 16 ounce bottles for $1.00

If you need additional information on our Cafe Services, please contact:

In compliance with the USDA and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act:

Click the link to review MOT Charter School’s Wellness Policy.

Click the link if you are interested in finding locations for the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP).

Frequently Asked Question

How do I put money in my child's cafeteria account?

The preferred way for you to put money into your child’s lunch account is through the school’s on-line payment system.  You may also send in a check in a lunch account envelope.

It can take up to two full business days for online payments to be credited to the student accounts. Students without sufficient funds in the account will not be permitted to purchase breakfast or lunch.

How do I use the MOT Online Payment system for my child's cafeteria account?

MOT Charter School offers families the option to pay for breakfast and/or lunch for their child(ren) with a credit card, debit card or checking account using our on-line payment service.There are no additional fees for using this service.  PLEASE NOTE: Payments take 24 hours to process. Students without sufficient funds in the account will not be permitted to purchase breakfast or lunch.

Payments can be made at any time by going to, and clicking on “Online Payments” under Quick Links, the last item (right side) in the top navigation.
You will then click on the “Donate or Pay Now” link and complete your payment as follows:

  1. Fill in your Billing information, including your full name and address.
  2. Fill in your Payment information:

i. Under ‘Purpose of Payment’, please use the drop down menu to select Lunch Account Payment.
ii. In ‘Name of Club/Sport/Trip or other Details’ please indicate how much of your payment is to go to each child’s account. You should make ONE total payment for ALL of the accounts that you wish to fund, and tell us how to divide the payment in this field.

  1. Click on “Proceed”
  2. Select method of payment – we accept credit, debit, or ACH payments from your checking account or a corporate account.
  3. Click on “Pay Now”
  4. Complete your payment information, including an email address for your receipt.

Please be sure to complete all required information so that the payments may be properly credited to your student’s account.

How do I know how much money is left in my child's cafeteria account?

Visit  and click on the green button at the top of the page “Create Account.”  It will ask for your child’s school id number, which you will find on their report card.  If you do not have this number, please call the front office for help.

You will be able to view all account activity including purchases and balances through the myschoolaccount system.  The system is updated nightly, and will allow you to set up a low balance notification which will send an email notice to you when your child’s account reaches the level you set.

Please note:  Because parents would incur additional fees, you are not able to make payments to your child’s cafeteria account through the website.  Electronic payments should be made through our on-line payment service available on the school’s website.

Please be sure to monitor your student’s account and deposit sufficient funds into the account for planned purchases. It takes 24 hours for online payments to be credited to the student accounts. Students without sufficient funds in the account will not be permitted to purchase breakfast or lunch.

Will my child ever need to bring cash at lunch? (Hint: Yes)

On the last Wednesday of each month, the Student Government sells ice-cream. Students may purchase ice cream for $1 (cash only).

All proceeds from ice cream Wednesday go to the Student Government for student activities.

How is the cost of lunch deducted from the cafeteria account?

When your child purchases lunch, the money is deducted from his/her account through the use of a finger scan system.

Finger scans will be taken when your child enrolls.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: and at any USDA office, write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Director, Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

Fax: (202) 690-7442; or by


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.